Thursday, April 08, 2004

We're still getting some patchy overcast at night, thin enough for the moon to shine through. It's times like this that even the suburbs are beautiful. During the day, it's a different story. Everywhere I look I see the same ugly houses and the same ugly little shopping centers. Too many people drive SUVs or those big ugly steroid trucks. Too many people watch reality TV. Too many... well, you get the idea. It makes me think of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, where alien pods replicate human beings, killing off the originals in the process. I sometimes get the feeling that the suburbs kill off human beings and replace them with alien beings with nefarious agendas. I often feel out of place here. Jen says we should move over the hill and live by the ocean. I agree. Maybe the proximity of the ocean somehow arrests the growth cycle of the pod people. Maybe they can't stand salt. Maybe it's too far from the big malls.

Speaking of malls, a guy I work with, who also has a job that involves installing home entertainment centers, found out that apartments in San Jose's Santana Row (a high end apartment/mall community) go for approximately $5000/month. Sick. Daylight robbery. White collar crime.

Okay, enough griping.

cds I listened to while shaking my head at the state of things: Nurse With Wound "Salt Marie Celeste", David Tibet & Steven Stapleton "Octopus", Tom Waits "Franks Wild Years", and Stone Breath "Lanterna Lucis Viriditatis"

No comments: