Monday, April 05, 2004

I was taking a shower the other day and admiring all of the nice spiders that live in the bathroom. Part of the shower ritual involves relocating the spiders who have situated themselves somewhere within range of the spray. During this particular shower, the only spider near enough to potentially be in danger was already heading upwards out of harms way. Unfortunately, he blundered into the web of a much bigger spider up in the corner near the ceiling. This second spider lost no time in wrapping him up tightly and commencing to drain him of fluid. It was kind of sad. I realized at that point that I wasn't sure what kind of spiders these were, so I did a little digging around online and discovered that they go by several different common names. Some people call them Daddy Longlegs, but I won't, because that's what I've always called Harvestmen, which are arachnids, but not spiders. Some people call them Cellar spiders, but I won't, because that's what I call those marbled, shiny spiders that somewhat resemble Black Widows. I'll stick with the third name, which is Vibrating spider, because they do indeed vibrate when disturbed. The one near the toilet paper dispenser has probably rattled its little spider brain loose by now. Unfortunate location, I guess.

The van died on Friday, just as I was about to drive the three older kids to the video store. We had it towed today, and we're hoping that this time we'll be able to get that recurring stalling problem resolved. There was a really dumb woman in the waiting room at the repair shop. She insisted on calling Willow a boy, even though Jen and I both corrected her more than once, and actually asked Jen to move aside so she could watch the commercials on the TV across the room. I heard her mutter, "I'll have to get one of those", as she intently watched an ad for an egg sheller. Just another daytime TV zombie slowly rotting away from the inside, who no doubt has a house full of items that seemed really cool at the time she saw the snazzy commercials for them, but not so cool once she actually got them.

Okay, I'm going to go read now. I'm just sitting here making fun of people, and that's not really very nice. It is kinda fun though.

cds I listened to while rushing around because the damn papers were late and really big to boot: Paul Chain "Emisphere" and "Master of all Times", Tanakh "Villa Claustrophobia", Molasses "trilogie: Toil & Peaceful Life" and "s/t", Shock Headed Peters "Tendercide", and Sol Invictus "Trees in Winter"

No comments: