Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Today I journeyed to the hellish wasteland that is the outdoor shopping center to get my new car stereo installed. As I waited, I wandered through the desolation, noting that there were people around, but that the place still gave the impression of being empty of life. Maybe it had something to do with the blandness of the stores, which undoubtedly attract bland customers. Maybe we are indeed surrounded by the living dead.
Another problem I have with these shopping centers is that the architecture is so dull. Are these built by the people who failed architecture school? Maybe they're built by the same people who design our prisons and high schools.
The only real sign of life was a mom with a couple of little girls, one of them pushing a doll stroller. They were running along, following the zig zag brick pattern on the sidewalk. Maybe that's the only way to escape the living dead who stumble all about, laden with shopping bags and the weight of too many fast food lunches.

The same thing happened to Rome. Then it fell.

The first cds I listened to on my new stereo: Daemonia "Live... or Dead", Sainkho Namtchylak "Stepmother City Remixes", The Flash Girls "Play Each Morning Wild Queen", Laibach "Rekapitulacija 1980 - 84", Timesbold "Woe be Gone...", and Mahmoud Ahmed "Live in Paris"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, can you tell me where can I get a copy or mp3s of 'Stepmother City Remixes'? I try to find this Sainkho album for many years, but still cannot locate it. Thanks for your kind help.

dr silence said...

Hello!
I picked up my copy of 'Stepmother City Remixes' used at Amoeba Records in Berkeley (I think). I've never seen it for sale anywhere else. I'd try keeping an eye on e-bay, or getting directly in touch with Sainkho through her website (sainkho.net, I think)

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I already looked for it on ebay for a very long time,also contacted with Sainkho's website before. They never reply. Maybe I'll never have a chance to hear it. So sad.