Monday, October 06, 2003

I have a new Sun Spider (or Wind Scorpion, as they're sometimes called). Right now, it's running around in its cage, trying to figure out how to escape. I noticed earlier today that it is missing the tip of one of its mandibles, although this shouldn't slow it down too much, since Sun Spiders have two sets of mandibles, which function sort of like machinery in a wood processing plant, sawing things into little bits.
The only problem with these arachnids is that they don't live very long as adults. I bought it anyway, of course, because they're just so odd. I used it at the spider workshop today, and the attendees were duly impressed. Nobody got to touch it though.

On Saturday, as we drove to the museum, Nate saw a guy walking down the street sporting a long, matted beard and a head full of unkempt, tangled hair. "He looks like your brother," Nate observed as we drove past.
When we got to the museum, I discovered that the workshop that I'd thought was on Saturday was actually on Sunday, so I played with Jen and the kids instead. I especially had fun watching Willow sit in the little pre-toddler area inside the early childhood center. She just sat there and contentedly pawed the brightly colored vinyl blocks. She is really starting to explore the world around her now. I could watch her do this all day.

Last night, in what must be the most delayed case of karma ever, Lexy stumbled, half-asleep, into our room and peed in the wastebasket. I mention that karma is involved because I did the same thing to my parents' wastebasket when I was about the same age as Lexy is now. Neither of us remembered our nocturnal waste watering expeditions in the morning. At least he peed in the wastebasket. I can think of a whole bunch of places where I would like to find pee even less.

cds I listened to while hoping that nobody pees on the spot where the wastebasket used to be before I can clean it and put it back: All various artists - "On the Brink of Infinity", "Heilige Tod" (Death In June tribute), "Mykistavia Valikohtauksia - Dumbstriking Incidents" (like it says on the front, "a compilation of some of the weirder bands on the Bad Vugum label"), "A Sides" (that's circle A, as in anarchy), and "Tea At the Palaz of Hoon" (beautifully packaged double cd)

No comments: