Friday, October 31, 2003

Our street has been partially pulverized by people who are pocketing money that could probably have been spent on something more important, but wasn't. I awoke this morning to rumbling and the beeping of trucks backing up. It was still half a block away, but I hurried through my morning routine so I could leave the driveway before being trapped by heavy machinery. I made it, but had to go around the block to escape the advancing workers. The same thing is going to happen again when the sun rises today, but it won't matter as much because I have nowhere pressing to be. I hope they pulverize quietly though.

The Dickens has invented a new dance which, for want of a better name, I'll call the Potato Chip Dance. In order to do this, you have to spot a potato chip on the floor, run over to it, jump up and down on it until it's been pulverized sort of like our street, and then get down on all fours and lick it off of the carpet. Repeat until there are no more potato chips.

We carved some pumpkins today, and we'll proudly display them outside so all of the right wing christian fundamentalist wackos can wring their sweaty hands and bemoan the fact that such a vile, satanic holiday is allowed in this country. These are the same people who refuse to believe that all of the "christian" holidays are actually pagan holidays that have been warped and squished into little christian molds. I always get a good laugh when I run across people who sincerely believe that Halloween is somehow evil. To my mind, this is sort of like believing in the tooth fairy. The only thing I wouldn't argue is that it's yet another consumer feeding frenzy, but then again so is every other damn holiday in this country.

It's still my favorite holiday. I like holidays that upset uptight people. Uptight people need to be shaken up on a constant basis. Maybe it will loosen them up.

cds I listened to while anticipating candy: Retsin "Sweet Luck of Amaryllis", Rasputina "The Lost & Found", Grace Yoon & Roman Bunka (w/Greetje Bijma, Trinovox, and Albert Kuvezin) "Earborn", Mahmoud Ahmed "Ere Mela Mela", V/A "Ethiopian Blues & Ballads", Huun-Huur-Tu "Best Live", and Waterson:Carthy "A Dark Light"

No comments: