Thursday, June 26, 2003

Today we met a Great Horned Owl. He is a rescued animal, and can't fly due to a wing injury sustained during a sudden confrontation with an automobile. He seems resigned to his new semi-diurnal schedule (as am I, I guess...) and stared impassively from his perch as small children looked up at him. He didn't seem to notice as bits from other less fortunate owls were passed through the crowd. The kids took turns holding an owl foot and an owl skull, often forgetting to pass the foot along stump first (so the talons wouldn't poke anybody). The skull smelt of mothballs.
It gives me an idea for a story...

It is hot today (as it was yesterday) and I'm looking forward to the promised drop in temperatures over the next couple of days. We ate lunch within the grove of trees that Jen and I got married under. I like that. We also got to watch a Fence lizard hunting for and eating some miniscule bugs in the dirt outside the restrooms. It's not often you get to watch animals hunting (okay, so it wasn't exactly a lion or tiger, but that's life...).
After tomorrow, I get a week off from camp. I wonder if I'll get up early anyway. Probably not.

cds I listened to while hoping the temperature would drop: Paul Chain "Relative Tapes on CD, vol. 4, 5, and 6"

No comments: