Friday, June 13, 2003

Sometimes I think life is like a time-lapse film. A lot of the frames are missing, given over to routine tasks and tedious obligations, leaving the few memorable events engraved in your memory for later viewing. If the lapses get too long, you can suddenly find yourself in the middle of next week without knowing quite how you got there. It seems to me that the older we get, the quicker everything is left in our wakes. I think this also applies to level of activity. The busier I am, the faster everything seems to go. Do things keep accelerating as we get older? All evidence points to "yes". Ah, well... Our eternities are but moments, and our children's moments are eternities... The wait my younger self experienced between the beginning of December and Christmas seemed longer than the last few years have.

Monday I dive headlong into my new schedule. Maybe the newness of it all will slow things down for a time. The routines will all change, at least.

cds I listened to while wondering whether to speed up or slow down: Devendra Banhart "The Black Babies (UK)", Howard Shore "Symphonic suites from the films of David Cronenberg - Dead Ringers, Scanners, and The Brood", Godzilla soundtrack compilation (all in Japanese, so details elude me), Sopor Aeternus & the Ensemble of Shadows "Voyager: the Jugglers of Jusa", and The Decemberists "Castaways and Cutouts"

No comments: