Monday, June 16, 2003

The first day of science camp held no surprises. I actually managed to be awake and more-or-less alert at the previously unheard-of hour of 7:00 am. I arrived at the park early, but then again so did most of the kids. We hiked and caught bugs, including a pill bug that was carrying babies. I'd never seen baby pill bugs before - they're about the size of mites. Oh, I caught a newt too, but then again I always catch newts. Tomorrow we invade the visitors center and hold bugs from the impressive collection on display there. The kids, being kindergarteners and first graders, were all quite active. I've got to make sure to keep their incessant talking in check.

The day before, while Jen, Willow, and I were going out for Father's Day breakfast, we saw somebody crash into and knock over a stoplight - or, to be more accurate, we heard the light hit the asphalt and quickly turned our heads to see the aftermath. Apparently a teenaged driver had switched lanes without looking and had forced a van off the road. Luckily nobody was hurt. This all happened right down the street from where somebody plowed right over a new crosswalk sign a few months ago. Maybe it's a conspiracy.

cds I listened to while getting home in half the time: Godzilla soundtrack (details in Japanese. Sorry), Zbigniew Preisner "At Play in the Fields of the Lord" soundtrack, Sopor Aeternus & the Ensemble of Shadows "Dead Lovers' Sarabande (face two)", and Frifot "Sluring"

No comments: