Wednesday, April 09, 2003

I led a tour group of pre-schoolers around the farm at Hidden Villa yesterday. They got to see two new lambs - newer than the new lambs from last week. I balanced a chicken on my head for awhile, and then carefully lowered it to the ground. One of these days this will backfire and something will come firing out of the back of the chicken and into my hair. I hope it isn't soon. While inspecting the cows, one of the kids was comparing cow sounds to the sounds made by his dad while asleep. Then one little girl spoke up, "I don't have a daddy. Only a mommy."
How does one reply to this? This little girl has been cheated out of one half of the parental equation. It doesn't really matter why. It's always sad to hear the very young make statements like this - they're so honest and understated about these kinds of things. That one sentence contained so much. Maybe it's the simplicity of it that strikes me.
I looked down at her and said, "and I'm sure she loves you very much, doesn't she?" What else could I say? Then the kids discovered the great equalizer - cow poop. The moment of seriousness passed like an illusion.
But I remembered it.

Later, Nate and I went out to look at the moon. It's still a crescent. Inside, we listened to the record I got in the mail today. Nate said he liked it. I know I did.

cds I listened to and liked: Ordo Equitum Solis "Solstitii Temporis Sensus", "Animi Aegritudo", and "O.E.S." mini cd, Coil "Live Four", Scorpions "Lonesome Crow", Sepultura "Roots Bloody Roots", and Skepticism "Lead and Aether"

No comments: