Thursday, June 09, 2005

Over the next month I'm going to be working in three different parks. This coming week I teach a camp called "Science Sleuths" at Vasona park, then it's up into the redwoods at Sanborn park for a week before going to Alum Rock park in East San Jose for a week. It's kind of funny in a way. To reach Sanborn park I have to drive through some pretty affluent neighborhoods (the kind where the mansions have gates with callboxes and the calls are answered by hired help) and to reach Alum Rock park I have to drive through some pretty impoverished neighborhoods (the kind where the cars all look worse than mine, which is saying something). I'm not sure where I was going with this post, but I'm sure it had something to do with the inequitable distribution of wealth.
We're geographically a lot closer to the wealthy neighborhoods here, but financially a lot closer to the impoverished ones. I'm not sure where I feel less comfortable.

It rained today, which was nice. There are still dark, brooding clouds outside, and a cool breeze coming in through the windows. Hard to believe it's a third of the way through June.

No comments: