Saturday, June 04, 2005

I just finished reading Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy and was quite impressed. I guess the fact that I managed to find time to quickly read a whole trilogy in the space of a couple of weeks should say something about the page-turnability (hey, I made up a word!) of these novels. I like the anti organized religion stance found within as well. Pretty cool for trilogy aimed at young adults. I had originally thought it might be fun to read them to Lexy and Nate, but after finishing them I think I'll have to wait until they're older. Lexy would be too disturbed by the children-in-jeopardy threads that run through this and bind it together. The ghosts and some of the other revelations would probably send him over the edge as well. Too bad though, because I'd really love reading this out loud.
Apparently some christians want these books burned. Typical. Don't agree with something? Set it on fire! A little extreme, I think...

In the real world, today we went to that rat pizza place for The Dickens' 4th birthday party. I chased Willow around for two hours as she visited all of the different arcade games and little coin operated vehicles again and again. All of the whirring and beeping and mechanized voices of the machines provided a backdrop of sensory overload that kept gnawing at the base of my skull like a persistant parasite. Willow didn't seem to notice. She didn't actually seem to be interested in playing or riding anything either. Just running. The Dickens got to hug the rat, and everybody ate the limp, tasteless pizza and the cake with the 150% sugar content. A couple of hours later we escaped back into the sunlight.

Rented some DVDs to watch tonight. Waiting for the little people to descend into slumberland.

Oh, and I've started posting photos here. Check it out.

No comments: