Wednesday, June 29, 2005


Here's a picture of one of the opportunistic Ground Squirrels that patrol the picnic areas, waiting for things to drop to the ground so they can ravenously devour them.

Whenever I'm outside in a park with a bunch of kids I dread hearing the words, "hey look at this weird balloon I found!" It always turns out to be a used condom. We were at the top of an Oak-shaded hill today, at a trio of benches and a jumble of lichen covered rocks called "Inspiration Point," when the least well-behaved boy in the group said the fateful words. I told him to put it down immediately, which he didn't because he's not well behaved. After he put it down, he picked it up again because that's the kind of boy he is. While this was happening, his brother, who knew what the dusty little piece of rubber was, was laughing. After all was said and done, I think the boy picked it up three times before it finally sunk in that it was something that he really didn't want to be touching.

Well, I guess it is evidence that somebody found some inspiration up there. Probably not the kind of inspiration the person who named it had in mind.

No comments: