Monday, June 20, 2005

Happy Summer Solstice! I was thinking of marking the occasion somehow, but I'm in a kind of creative slumber at the moment. Probably because of all this extra sunlight or something... These holidays used to be more important to people, back before we all became so disconnected from natural cycles; back before the invention of electricity and automated factories and cars and planes... the list goes on.

I guess something to think about today is that the natural cycles keep quietly cycling along underneath, inside, and around all of the clutter our lives are filled with. We should all go out and appreciate a cycle. Have you hugged a cycle today? Perhaps a bi-cycle? They go both ways.

As for myself, I'm sometimes struck by the nutrient cycle. Everytime I walk in the woods I'm amazed by the sheer volume of plant detritus on the ground, and by the myriad organisms that consume it (The F.B.I. - Fungus, Bacteria, and Invertebrates), turning it into rich soil which in turn nourishes the trees and other plants so they can grow tall and strong and drop loads of new detritus on the ground... and on and on and on.

Humans who compost know this well.

No comments: