Thursday, February 05, 2004

I'm still feeling tired, even though I got enough sleep last night. I think I have a mild cold as well. There's nothing like hanging around a hospital and not getting enough sleep to help invite those nasty cold germs in for a party, during which they will probably eat up all of your food and step on the cat's tail. Ah well, it could be worse... It always could be worse.
I've been thinking about how vulnerable we become once we have kids. There are so many things that can go wrong - so many accidents and diseases and just plain bad luck. One of my co-workers at the paper route told me that this is the reason he has never wanted to get married or have kids. He doesn't know what he's missing though. Despite the potential emotional danger, it's very much worth it. I can't imagine life without my wife and kids, no matter how much the kids whine and scowl and fall mysteriously ill.

Over the week that I wasn't at the museum, the days have gotten longer. This means that I'm walking into the sunset as I leave work. By the time I'm in my car, the sun is behind the hills and orange-gold light plays along the crest. Later, the moon rises, full and encircled by mist. Life is beautiful despite, or maybe because of, the hardships we face. Don't forget it.

cds I listened to while enjoying life: Mia Doi Todd "The Ewe and the Eye", The Black "Golgotha", Candlemass "Nightfall", Pustit "Musis", and Yuri Yunakov Ensemble "New Colors in Bulgarian Wedding Music"

No comments: