Monday, October 14, 2002

Why it is futile to argue with the christian right:

While waiting for the truck tonight, I had the great pleasure of entering into a debate on the subject of evolution vs creation. This is sort of like entering a debate about abortion rights. Nobody is going to have a change of heart, no matter how eloquently you argue your side. Anyway, our resident Jerk was maintaining that evolution was silly, and one of my other co-workers was frustrating himself in trying to argue the opposite side. Jerk's main argument had something to do with cars, and how they were made by people. He went on to say that since people were so much more wonderfully complicated than cars that some higher power must have made them. At that point, I tried to explain the concept of evolution to him because he didn't seem to have a firm grasp on it. He replied with some sort of twisted analogy about how cars wouldn't evolve if you left them someplace for billions of years. I tried to explain the difference between inanimate objects and living things, and told him that his analogy was senseless - that even if cars were living things, a single car would represent a single human life. Now, most reasonable people know that evolution doesn't happen in a single generation. He kept blindly mouthing the same point, maintaining that living things were "greater" than cars, so they must have been created, rather than being the end product of evolution. Deciding to mess with him, I asked him to define "greater". He thought for a moment and replied that it meant something of more importance and value.
Then I asked him what was more important - his car or an ant. By his "logic", he would have to say "ant". He didn't reply. I knew what his answer would be, of course. His car is so damn important to him that he always parks it really close to the building so that it's in the way of just about everybody. I remember another carrier bumping it with a handcart. This nearly sent Jerk into shock. You'd think somebody had offed his granny the way he was shouting.
The truck showed up at this point and we all got to work. It's probably just as well. It's hard to win a debate against somebody that illogical. It's fun trying though.

Also, I wish people would just shut up about sports. Why do newspapers and radio stations devote so much time to a bunch of overpaid, bad role models kicking, throwing, or hitting little balls around on the grass. Are we to believe that this is news? Sometimes sports stories take up more space than the real stories. SPORTS ARE NOT NEWS. What if every other type of entertainment got equal space on the front page. Would we have rundowns of concerts, art shows and the like taking precedence over stories about what the president is doing to the country. What is going on with the world these days? I don't know, but Biff Brutus scored 5000 points for his team, and likes to eat twinkies when he's not kicking balls around. I also know that he gets paid more money than most people see in a lifetime. For playing a game. In addition, I know that he uses product X to combat jock itch, wears Y shoes, and brushes his teeth with Z brand toothpaste.

Unfortunately, I can't find my state on a map, and I most certainly don't know where Iraq is. I think it's somewhere near Australia. Don't the aborigines live there? Aborigines are people who sit around a lot. I saw it on TV after the game. The president is smart and he knows what's best for me. I've got five flags on my pickup truck. It's hard to see around the one I've got glued to my windshield, but if I lean out the window I can still see well enough to drive. Leaning out the window helps sober me up a bit too. The TV tells me to drink beer. I believe my TV when it suits me to do so. My TV is good. It thinks for me. God made me. I am great...

Nighttime birds I spotted while listening to a cd called "Nighttime Birds": One Night heron, and six egrets.

cds I listened to while trying to see around that darn flag on my windshield: M.D.C. "Shades of Brown", Melvins "Lysol" (actually not entitled anything because the makers of Lysol made them remove the name from all copies of their cd - I restore the title here to piss off Lysol), Calexico "Travelall", Nick Drake "Way to Blue - an introduction to Nick Drake", and The Gathering "Nighttime Birds"

now: Coil "How to Destroy Angels"

No comments: