Friday, October 11, 2002

Why I am a defensive driver:

Every so often, as was the case tonight, I can just tell that a car approaching the intersection on a red light is not going to stop. This means that I, with the green light, run the risk of driving directly into the path of this scofflaw. Tonight, I waited until the approaching car was just entering the intersection, pulled forward, and leaned on my horn. The other car came to a halt in the middle of the intersection. I steered around the front of the car and saw that the driver, a young, somewhat shellshocked looking lady, was still talking on her little phone. I loudly instructed her to HANG UP HER FUCKING PHONE! Okay, maybe not the most intelligent way to start a dialogue, but it sure felt good. I didn't stick around to see if she complied, but I'll bet she didn't. Now don't get me wrong, some people can manage to talk on a phone and drive at the same time. I manage to fold papers, put them in bags, and throw them all over creation, all while driving. I manage to eat dinner while driving down the road every night. That said, I don't like talking on a phone while driving. The couple of times I've tried it, I've found my attention someplace beyond the confines of my car.

Earlier, the slowly swelling crescent moon snuck behind a thin layer of clouds. The motion and relative transparency of the clouds made the moon look like it was smoldering. Does anybody else ever notice this stuff?

Even earlier than that - the yellowjackets aren't even waiting for the bees to die before eating them. That's kind of mean.

Animals spotted tonight: nine egrets, and one hopping katydid.

cds listened to while looking both ways before crossing the street: Ani DiFranco "Like I Said (songs 1990-91)", Sally Doherty "s/t", "Empire of Death", and "On the Outside", and The Gathering "Almost a Dance" and "Mandylion"

now: Sally Doherty and the Sumacs "Black is the Colour"

No comments: