Friday, October 18, 2002

Another work week draws to a close. It's starting to get cold outside at night. I am impelled to wear something besides a t-shirt. The leaves are falling. I think the tree in our backyard has a hidden stash somewhere. As I raked earlier in the week, I looked up to see the tree almost devoid of leaves. As I raked earlier today, I once again looked up and saw roughly the same amount of leaves. Maybe we're being punished for not watering more often.
Jen got to hear the baby's heartbeat today, and all is well. We've created a somebody. Of course, Jen has to do most of the work at this point. It must be such a strange feeling to be pregnant. The projected due date is May 8th. A spring baby.
Sophie has discovered the comic delights of smacking people on the nose. It's probably my fault for laughing when she does it. It's hard not to laugh though, because everything she does is cute. She ate a foil wrapped candy today without taking off the foil. Cute. She pulled apart Nathan's peanut butter and jelly sandwich and stuck the pieces to the kitchen floor. Cute. She tried to eat the flower arrangement on the table. Cute. You get the idea. I think it's a survival mechanism. What would happen if babies were ugly? If you're small and helpless, it is to your advantage to get people to fall in love with you. I could listen to Sophie for hours as she emphatically explains things in a language I don't understand. As I left for work, she was sitting contentedly inside the dryer.

Animals spotted tonight: The Night heron again, and the egrets (seven of them) again. There was also a large bird, possibly an owl, who flew away before I could identify it. It looks like the skunks have made themselves scarce for the winter.

cds I listened to out in the cold: Andreas Ammer/FM Einheit "Radio Inferno", Ani Difranco "Not A Pretty Girl", Pendulum "We're too Small to Lose Each Other", Melvins "10 Songs", and Blixa Bargeld "Commissioned Music"

now: Stephen Kent "Family Tree"

No comments: