Thursday, October 03, 2002

I led my first farm tour of the season on Tuesday. They've smoothed out the dirt road leading into Hidden Villa, and covered it with some sort of dust retardant. Other than that, things haven't changed much. The gourd tunnel in the garden, which was just a wooden framework the last time I was on the farm, is now a mass of gourd vines. I crawled through with the kids, enjoying the earthy smell and the feel of dirt underneath my hands. We pulled up carrots and consumed them. One of the younger goats tried to eat my beard. I caught a rooster who, full of righteous indignation, pecked me and then started to crow. Perhaps he had forgotten to do this at dawn and was making up for lost time. The bees are back in the hive, and the kids crowded 'round to observe. Duckweed covers the pond, as it always does. This time nobody mistook it for a lawn. I still remember one boy who jumped right in, and spent the rest of the day rather moist. I found a large Jerusalem cricket under one of the little foot bridges. One boy really wanted to find tarantulas. He was disappointed. It's great to be back.

The nights are getting colder, and the air has that autumn smell. Smoke and memories.

Sophie likes the Louis Wain prints hanging up in the hall. She now says "cat" and will point at the pictures when asked where the cats are. We should always know where the cats are.

Cat is not sure about the man. The man is always trying to make friends. Silly man. Friends always must have food. Man has no food. When will man go away? Cat must prowl.

animals spotted: two skunks and twelve egrets. ...and Frankie the cat.

cds I listened to while being glad that the papers weren't three hours late again and that the rollover accident was on the other side of the freeway: Coil "Musick to Play in the Dark - Vol.2", Ethereal Travel "The Mad Cartridge", Fear of God "Within the Veil" and "Toxic Voodoo", and Kronos Quartet "Night Prayers"

Now: Joanne Shenandoah "Warrior in two Worlds" soundtrack

No comments: