Monday, November 04, 2002

It's a new week and I find myself sucked back into my current routine. I've noticed that some people have already put up Christmas lights. The jack-o-lanterns haven't even rotted away yet! What's the rush?

Speaking of rushes, I wasn't in a rush to see the newest Star Wars movie, so when we went to see it on the Tech museum's Imax screen, I was probably the only person in the audience who hadn't seen it before. This particular Imax screen is of the domed variety, which means we were looking straight up a good portion of the time. At other times, it was necessary to whip my head back and forth to catch the action or subtitles or whatever it was that was disappearing beyond my peripheral vision at that particular moment.
Was the movie any good? Kind of... This type of film, as Dario Argento once succinctly put it, is for kids. There are lots of great special effects and sets. The story is relatively simplistic, and occasionally downright sappy. On the bright side, Yoda gets into a fight with Christopher Lee. On the down side, the film had nowhere near the effect on me that the first three did. But what the hell...

A couple of days earlier, we (the married we) were at the Tech museum with the kids and Jen's dad and stepmom and brother and his girlfriend Stacy. The kids had a great time. I got a good laugh when I discovered an exhibit that allowed you to videotape yourself holding forth on the subject of technology. I was thinking of sitting Sophie in the chair and letting her talk for a while but it didn't seem to be working. I looked around for helpful signs. Instead of finding anything useful, I found a sign that admonished people to avoid "foul language or inappropriate jester's". The first question that sprang to mind was, "inappropriate jester's what?" Hat? Shoes? I had visions of jesters in army helmets or baseball caps being dragged away from the exhibit.

Are the exhibit people at the Tech museum only semiliterate? You decide. Push this button to record your answer. Past favorites include a Super 8 hotel that was "comming soon" and a store that has been selling "sheespkin" car seat covers for years. This new trend in apostrophe abuse is unsettling though. The poor little things are too small to fight back.

cds listened to while being blinded by all of the Christmas lights: Eld "Carved", Empress s/t full length cd, and s/t ep, Godflesh "Cold World", Ani Difranco "More Joy, Less Shame", and "Dilate", and Ether "Music for Air Raids"

now: Wizard Women of the North

No comments: