Wednesday, November 20, 2002

There they were, with pale faces and shit-eating grins, all staring at me. There must have been eight or nine of them crowded into the alcove, clustered around doorways leading to apartments where people presumably slept.
I'm not sure why there were so many toilets in one place. Was it some sort of practical joke? Is one of the residents a plumber? Was I witness to the beginning of an invasion by beings who just happen to look like commodes? Will there be more of them tomorrow night?

Earlier in the day, a sheep took a liking to the way my hands smelled. I think she picked up on the scent of lanolin in the hand lotion I used earlier. Then the sheep peed, and you would have thought it was the high point of the tour I was leading. Pre-schoolers are so impressed by bodily functions.
Somewhere on the farm a lone frog was singing. There were a few Slender salamanders under the logs by the greenhouse, sharing their space with a couple of large centipedes and a number of crickets. The lizards have all but disappeared for the winter, even though the day was warm.

cds I listened to while wondering about toilets: Liar "Gone Too Far", Mumble & Peg "This Ungodly Hour", In Extremo "Weckt die Toten!", Low "Canada", Fire & Ice "Midwinter Fires", and U.Utah Phillips & Mark Ross "Loafer's Glory"

now: Lights in a Fat City "Memory Ground"

No comments: