Monday, November 18, 2002

After a good night's sleep, I tried again, and lo and behold, it worked! I, like many people, do not have a full understanding of the tools I use on a day to day basis. If I click on a button while using the computer and nothing happens, I stubbornly click on it again and again, like a Neanderthal beating a fish against a rock. This doesn't usually help. Even Neanderthals, knitting their brows while wiping pulped fish off of their knobby hands, must have realized that sometimes a gentler touch is called for. In other ways, they were lucky. Prehistoric people, I'm reasonably certain, knew how to use, and fix, their tools. We, who live in a technological society, at best know how to partially use our tools. Forget fixing them. The flow of information has become so great that it threatens to carry us away over the roaring waterfalls of a new dark age. How comforting.

now: In Extremo "Hameln"

No comments: