Sunday, February 22, 2009

We're being homebodies again today. There's a whole world out there, but today our world is limited by walls, with windows looking out on grayness and rain. I've always liked looking out at rain. There's something nice about having the option to be inside when it rains. Not that I'm unaware of the many who don't have that option, whether it's because of their job, or because they don't have a job... Although, even then, there are options.

My job, for several years there, entailed lots of hiking in the rain. I loved it, but I can remember one March a couple of years ago when it literally rained every day for the whole month. We were all quite sick of the rain at the end of that, and it seemed if our white, prune-like feet would never recover. Now, since I'm working nights, my biggest concern is that the rain and wind will knock the power out. We have a backup generator, of course, but I don't think it supplies the nature lab with needed electricity. So, if there's ever a blackout in the middle of a winter night, I'll be cuddling up with the python to keep him from getting too cold.

While the rain continues to fall, Willow is inside, creating elaborate scenarios with her stuffed animals, blankets, chairs, and whatever else she can move. We've also been working on invitations for her 6th birthday party. Things are happening today. They're just happening inside, and at a leisurely pace.

Currently listening to: Dead Kennedys "Frankenchrist" Willow thinks I should turn it off so she can watch dvds. She's such a little multi-tasker. I am of the opinion that sometimes you just have to listen to Dead Kennedys. This is one of those times.

No comments: