Thursday, February 05, 2009

I just opened the sliding glass door to let in the cool air, the smell of rain, and the sound of tires on wet asphalt. Oh, and the lone chirping of a nearby bird.

I love this kind of weather. I spent last night listening to the wind pick up, and awakened in the wee hours to the patter of rain. A nearby Raccoon resolutely ignored the rain, and continued to mop scraps of food off a pie plate some lazy person had left on the table outside the camp office. I love watching them use their little hands. They always look so nervous too. I guess if I was a Raccoon, and some nearby human was sleepily staring at me, I'd be nervous too. Humans are, after all, the most dangerous and unpredictable animals on the planet.

Today, I've been inside working on lesson plans. I've been working on creating a unit based on the ancient African civilizations of the Kush and the Nok. Of course, no lesson on the Nok is complete without a barrage of Nok, Nok jokes. I can justify them because they also help build vocabulary.

Don't worry, I won't subject you to them.

Tomorrow, I start teaching the unit, and the rain continues.

No comments: