Monday, February 02, 2009

It's mid-afternoon on a Monday, and the day is warm and still. I went out earlier to buy a few random things - a stapler, dental floss, a new alarm clock that doesn't make the annoying buzzing noise that the old one has started to do, and a couple of other, even less interesting things. Walking back from the store, I saw a large blimp drifting along in the distance. It's not every day that you see a blimp.

I remember hearing about the blimp - it takes people on aerial sightseeing tours of the Bay Area. I think it costs something in the neighborhood of $500 for the ride. I won't be doing that anytime soon. Still, it would be fun.

This weekend, I went to my last Saturday seminar of the term. In the morning, we learned some P.E. games, and spent a lot of time playing with one of those large, colorful parachutes. In the afternoon, for the Fine Arts portion of the seminar, we drew and made paper mache monsters. The day gets my stamp of approval for being the most fun of the Saturday seminars. They saved the best for last.

I'm also still inspired by the Amebix show I went to last weekend. It reaffirmed for me why they're one of my favorite bands. It was great to meet them too. When I really like a band, it's usually because I feel some sort of kinship with them on an aesthetic and ideological level. Amebix are definitely no exception to this rule. Of course, the same goes for people in general too. Thanks to the internet, we can connect like never before, finding our kindred spirits, but in some ways it's frustrating. We connect from a distance, but the distance remains. The world is smaller, but still just as large as ever.

I yearn for something, but I'm not sure exactly what. Something deeper. I get glimpses of it sometimes, but modern society is so oriented towards the surface - it's as if we're all frantically treading water, trying to stay on the surface, not realizing that we have gills, and slowly suffocating due to our ignorance.

We need depth.

No comments: