Wednesday, December 07, 2005


It started raining near the end of the night hike tonight, momentarily hushing the nervous kids. They were scared for the usual reasons - falling over things, nocturnal animals, general fear of the dark, etc. That said, they all thought the owl we heard was pretty cool.

One of the cabin leaders attached to my group went home sick earlier in the day. She is the third person in my group to do so this week. One of the other instructors went home sick yesterday. Several others are sick, but refusing to let it slow them down. A lot of us can't afford to be sick. I am so far successfully fighting off this cold, although I do feel in need of a break. Next week I'll get one because there are only going to be ninety-something kids at camp, meaning that I won't be needed. The week after, I get to help move things around in preparation for the demolition of the office building. That will see us through the Christmas season.

The picture is of frost melting on the roof of the storage building at one end of the school. It used to be a cabin for kids to sleep in, but geologists determined that it was too close to the San Andreas fault, so now it's just a storage building. There are lots of convoluted rules about building use when faults are located nearby. Probably just as well...

No comments: