Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Another day spent painting - this time the women's bathroom, which has a very high ceiling (and no, not a glass one either...) and more stalls. These things matter when you have to cover everything with paint. This time I remembered to bring a cd player though, so time went by quickly.

It's strange working until after dark. Everybody else goes home a couple of hours before I do and the days are short, so I often find myself virtually alone on the site. Of course now the days are going to get longer again. Happy Solstice to those of you who observe it in some way. To my mind, it's the most important of all the year-end holidays. Sure, we generally celebrate Christmas around here through sheer force of habit and nostalgia, but I feel more of a sense of connection to the Solstice. We keep meaning to mark it with some sort of traditional ritual, but time gets away from us because the holidays bring with them all sorts of frantic activity and last-minuteness. The 25th is always further away than the 21st. It would just be too much to ask to get anything completed and ready by the 21st, so we don't even try.

I do mark the day in my mind though. The darkness is drawing back.

Earlier, I suddenly found myself clothed in vomit. Willow was sitting on my lap acting distressed, when all of a sudden the contents of her stomach burst forth and coated us. Once I got her into the bath, she felt better, and even played little games with the playmobile people who reside there. Her games always involve a person going, "oohhnooo!," and falling into the water.

Speaking of water, I think I'll go take a shower. The paint and the vomit don't mix well.

Oooohnoooo!

No comments: