Wednesday, October 27, 2004

We got to witness a lunar eclipse tonight. I was up at the school, helping out with Wednesday's night program, so we all got to pause and turn our gazes skyward. The moon was obscured by a brownish-red shadow, made hazy by a sheet of thin clouds.

The night program centered around the Lorax. We performed a short play based on the book (I played the Onceler!) and then had a mock trial where the kids got to ask the characters questions in an effort to determine who was guilty for the destruction of the Truffula trees and the resulting woes of the Barbaloots, Swamee swans, and Humming fish. Everybody was found guilty.

Yesterday, on our anniversary, I hiked our group over to Sanborn park and we all sat down in the grove where we got married two years ago. It's as beautiful as it ever was. The kids thought it was pretty cool. I thought it was pretty cool too. It was too bad that I had to spend the whole day away from Jen. I don't feel that I've been working this job long enough to start requesting random days off.

Tuesday night's hike in the dark went pretty well. As usual, a number of the kids were scared, mostly because of movies they had seen. The moonlight, filtered by clouds, occasionally brightened into moonbeams that slipped between the silhouetted boles of the Redwoods and whitened segments of the trail. Beautiful.

No comments: