Thursday, October 07, 2004

Another day of learning. The guy I've been shadowing all week is really good at what he does, and the kids seem to be learning a lot. One of them turned to me today and said, "you should be a counselor here." I told him I would be next week. I'm starting on Monday. Unfortunately it's the part year position, not the full time one with benefits. Still, I'm looking forward to it and will be keeping an eye out for the next full time vacancy. I've decided that I'd better get a watch so I get the students back on time for lunch and dinner. I'm also going to get new batteries for my laser pointer, since it's good for pointing out constellations during night hikes. Hopefully I'll have some time on Sunday to gather things together. We might go hiking up there with the kids too, so I can learn any trails that I haven't had a chance to check out during the week.

This afternoon I had to teach in Fremont. I stopped by our base of operations nearby, where we tried to figure out when I could train some more so I could play mad scientist at a birthday party on Saturday. I feel like I'm letting them down at this job, because I'm basically quitting after this week, except for weekend gigs doing birthday parties. I've already been asked if I could jump right back in the next time my schedule gets freed up (in about a month). Business seems incredibly good for them right now, but I get the impression they're running themselves into the ground trying to keep up with it all. Tomorrow I teach my last after school program for the time being.

I also got a call from a company that had advertised for a distribution supervisor. I had sent them an e-mail before I knew I was getting the Environmental Education position, but even though I told them I couldn't work the hours they needed (25-30) they still want to interview me. I'll probably schedule one with them sometime next week. Just to see. I will definitely need some extra work in November and December because the "part year" part of my new job doesn't include any work during these months, except for some after-the-fact training. This paid training will make up for the fact that I've been observing their program on my own time this week. Also, I'm really only seeing about half of the program, since I've been leaving in the middle of it every day in order to go someplace where I'm actually getting paid. We gotta eat here. Not that I'm getting paid much, of course. That will change (relatively, at least).

This jumbled chaos that is my schedule at the moment is all very new to me. All of my previous jobs were long-term affairs. Things stayed the same for years, with minor changes here and there. Right now I feel I can't focus on anything but my changing job situation, but when things finally settle down (whenever that may be) I'll be the better for it.

Nuff for now.

No comments: