Tuesday, October 19, 2004

It came down in torrents today, mostly while I was teaching field class. Most of the kids came prepared. Those who didn't made do as best they could. The trails all contained rushing rivulets of water, and many times their normal coverage of leaves. The Madrone trees were especially pretty, glistening redly in the wet. We gathered around one ancient Douglas Fir and took turns gazing up the mossy trunk into the branches as the rain cascaded downwards into our faces. Too beautiful to really describe here unless I lapse into poetry, which I won't.

Later, we saw a newt and a couple of banana slugs on the trail, which made the kids happy. I finally managed to catch the tarantula living in the junction box near the nature lab. He proved to be quite docile once picked up. The kids whipped out their disposable cameras to record the moment.

I didn't manage to teach all of the things I planned to because of the rain, and I think the other instructors had the same problem. It's hard to focus games and lessons while being pelted by rain. It's kind of distracting. Some of the kids were kind of uncomfortable, and my backpack full of journals got pretty wet.

Okay, I'd better go read to Lexy now. More tomorrow.

No comments: