Wednesday, October 06, 2004

I haven't really had much time to sit down this week. I've been too busy trying to learn a new job while working an almost new job. I haven't worked at the museum all week, and won't be able to for the next few weeks either. I could work weekends, I guess, but I'm still trying to decide if I should bother. Continued employment there might come in handy towards the end of the year if I get the part year position at the science camp. Or maybe I should just let it go.

For now I'll adopt a "wait and see" attitude. Some things become clearer after a bit of time is allowed to pass. When you do things in a hurry some of the important details get lost. Right now I'm too busy focusing on learning the new job to worry about much else. I'll probably spend a lot of time this weekend reading various manuals and instructor guides - oh, and learning some campfire songs. Most of the people who work there are musicians of one sort or another. Some of the campfire songs are pretty cool.

It's hard to believe it's only Wednesday. I observed camp activities most of the morning, and then went home for a bit before rushing off to teach the sea life class. Then I went and got a TB test because the one I got a couple of years ago is too ancient to pass muster. Afterwards, with no time to spare, I rushed northwards to instruct some small children on how to build model rockets. For some reason, none of the kids names matched the ones on my roster. In the classroom next to me was another instructor employed by the same organization as me. I hadn't met him previously, and when I talked to him I found out that he'd also applied for the job I've been learning in the mornings. He obviously didn't get it though. Small world.

Hanging over the back of one of the couches in the staff room at the science camp was a shirt emblazoned with the words "Bush is torture". How true.


No comments: