Sunday, September 05, 2004

It's the kind of weather that makes your clothes weigh heavily upon you and your fluids leak slowly from your pores. We're all just flopping around the house today, because even without air conditioning it's still cooler inside.

Did I mention that I got another part time job? I'm unsure what to tell them next week when they begin scheduling hours, because the jury is still out on the full time one. I'll think of something, I guess. Maybe I'll know more in a few days.

M. and I went and saw Sleepytime Gorilla Museum at Mills College on Saturday, meeting G. who publicly transported himself there, on the steps outside. Carla Bozulich opened the show and sounded nothing like somebody who recently recorded a re-make of Willie Nelson's "Red Headed Stranger" would be expected to sound. Not Country, in other words. Much more jagged and jarring. The inappropriately monickered Death Ambient (Fred Frith, Ikue Mori, and Kato Hideki) were next, and did interesting things with guitar, laptop, and bass. Fred Frith was especially fun to watch as he played his guitar with the help of a table full of gadgets. The very appropriately named Toychestra was next, and performed a set using children's instruments and toys. If my pockets had contained anything other than lint, I would have bought some of their cds. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, looking a bit out of place on a well lit school stage, were as incredible as always. The only sobering bit was Moe!'s official announcement of his departure from the band. A replacement is currently being trained.


No comments: