Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Another potential employer called to schedule a job interview with me today. It's a phone interview, to take place on Monday morning. I hate talking on the phone. I'm glad they called though. It's always nice to have a few options. The salary for this particular job is unknown ("send salary requirements"). The commute looks kind of brutal, and I don't quite have the previous experience that they're looking for. However, it looks like a fun and rewarding job. And they did call me, after all.

The problem is that, shortly after I do this interview, I should know whether or not I have the other job - the one that I've already done two interviews for. Not to mention the part time one that I've already been hired for (although they haven't called to schedule me yet). I have a feeling that this is how job searches often end up - a muddle of possibilities. I guess I should be thankful that at the grand old age of 36 I've never had to deal with it before. All of my previous jobs just kind of snapped into place like a lego set (the little kid kind, not the complicated ones for older kids). This is partially because I kept the night job for 16 years. With those nocturnal paychecks rolling in, the daytime paychecks didn't really matter, giving me the freedom to work for proverbial peanuts, or in some cases nothing. Things are a little different when the bills and the rent are hanging in the balance. It makes me more nervous during interviews.

We're participating in another garage sale on Sunday, just in case. I've still got a handful of Canadian dollars, British pounds, and Euros to exchange as well.

No comments: