Tuesday, May 18, 2004

I'll miss the freedom that comes with night driving when I become a strictly diurnal worker. No more driving on walkways or pretending I'm in England in order to throw papers. No more setting my own personal time limit on stoplights. No more empty, open roads, puddled with streetlights and dotted with Killdeer. Why do Killdeer always sleep in the road? This is one of life's smallest mysteries. For that matter, why do ducks sleep in the gutters? Why don't possums look both ways before crossing the street? Oh, and those goats I saw last night - I think they're sheep. It's hard to tell in the darkness and distance.

I guess that the fact that the guy who originally hired me is not only retired, but dead, speaks volumes about how long I've been doing this.

I've got to get up early, so I'll quit reminiscing now. Only 27 more editions to deliver.

cds I listened to while luxuriating in the emptiness: Katatonia "Last Fair Deal Gone Down", Olho Seco "Havera Futuro?", and The Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus "The Gift of Tears/Mirror"

No comments: