Sunday, March 15, 2009

I'm home after a great day of sand and surf and fine company over the hill.

In fact, this has been a pretty full weekend. Last night, I went to see the latest Central Works play, The Window Age, in which the characters' surface layers are pulled back to reveal their subconscious thoughts. This is fitting because one of the three characters is a thinly-veiled stand-in for Sigmund Freud. Another is Virginia Woolf, here named Valerie Fox. Ha ha.

Friday night, in fine Friday the 13th tradition, we did an improv soundscape/noise show at the 21 Grand. I'll write more about that over at my music blog when I have a moment. Let it suffice to say that I think things went pretty well.

I begin my second solo week of teaching tomorrow morning, and it should be interesting because the regular teacher is still out of town, and I'm not quite sure where things have left off in Language Arts and Math. I'm sure things will turn out okay though. I'm getting there an hour and a half before the kids do. I just hope others get there that early, or I'll be waiting outside.

Right now I'm home, reflecting on questions. I don't often ask questions, either because they don't occur to me, or because I don't want to know the answers. I'm one of those people who usually has to work things out for himself. If somebody explains a process to me, I'll listen, nod, and maybe jot a few things down for later review. If I'm asked if I have any questions, the answer is almost always, "no." Maybe it's because I learn best by reading or doing. I guess that makes me a visual kinesthetic learner or some such. Of course, sometimes I just don't want to know the answer. After all, the answer is always "maybe" until you ask. Sure, some people will tell you that the answer is always "no" until you ask, but they always forget to tell you that it's still sometimes "no" after you ask too. If you don't ask, the possibilities are endless. Asking strips away the mystery.

I'm half joking here. I know that nothing ever gets accomplished if you exist entirely in a world of possibilities. It is necessary to ask questions while moving through life. Asking questions opens doors, and illuminates new paths for us to follow.

It's just that I like imagining possibilities.

No comments: