Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I have to admit that, despite not being a morning person, I love the early morning. This morning, I had a few moments between finishing my preparations and the arrival of the first kids, so I stepped outside with my coffee and sat down upon one of the gently curving buttresses juttng out from the circular school building. From my vantage point, I could see the misty foothills magically beckoning. Recent rains have clothed them in green, and the morning veil of moisture added a layer of mystery.

The kids started showing up as I sat there. I asked one of them if he ever spent time in the hills. His reply was, "not really." He then went on to tell me about how his cousin had blown up a tree with an improvised bomb fashioned from several M-80s.

Oh well. Kids are a different kind of magic. Much more unpredictable than the hills and the rains. I guess I wouldn't have it any other way, but I'm always going to enjoy those early morning moments when I can.

2 comments:

Prettylittlecrow said...

I love that first paragraph. I wish I'd written it. I have a smooth boulder at the edge of my yard with a hollow the very same size as my behind. Lucky fortune! From here, I can watch the sun rise behind Mount Baker and the neighborhood rattle from night into day.

I'm sure you'll preserve these types of moments as you go on to teach. The trap of 'inside' is my greatest struggle with the profession. Except in the summer, of course!

~Lorelei

dr silence said...

Thanks Lorelei,

Since posting this, I've found myself on my perch outside a few times, gazing at the hills. I'll
definitely miss the hills when I transition to the classroom full time, but as long as I have a view, I'll be okay.

Sounds like you have a great view up there! Enjoy!

John