Tuesday, September 23, 2003

They say that if you're always helping people to do things without actually teaching them how to do these things for themselves, you're not really improving their lot in life. I've heard this argument used most often in discussions about the pros and cons of international aid, but of course it applies to any situation where somebody just hands you the end product without taking you step-by-step through the process that created it.

Apparently none of this kind of thing applies to toads.

I saw the toad again - the one I always help get up over the curb - and there he was, triumphantly sitting on top of the curb. When he saw me, he did a disdainful little hop into the ivy, as if to say, "see! I don't need your help!"

I'm glad that he can manage on his own, but now I have to question my purpose in life.

cds I listened to while looking for some other animal to help: V/A "Mortar", V/A "Land of the Rising Noise", Paul Roland "Roaring Boys", and V/A "From Across This Gray Land No.2"

No comments: