Thursday, September 04, 2003

Charles De Lint writes wonderful stories featuring characters I'd like to meet. Unfortunately this is not possible, so I have to settle for meeting Charles De Lint himself. Today was actually the second time I've "met" him, if you can call getting autographs and chatting a bit "meeting" somebody. The good thing about him is that he actually seems to be a bit like his characters. One of the other people at the book signing party, which took place at Dark Carnival (where you can get the oddest toys. Take for instance "Pee Guy", a little plastic man with a little bit of what looks like fishing line dangling between his legs - the "pee") seemed to be trying to make a business proposition by mentioning that he was really good at reading De Lint's books aloud (to his children, apparently) and would consider it an honour to perhaps maybe read one for an audio release. De Lint told him that he might consider finding a charity for the blind and offering his services as a reader. He could then record, without having to ask permission, all of the books he pleased. Hell, I might enjoy doing that myself, if I could ever find the time. Maybe if I didn't spend so much time hanging around in bookstores. G. showed up as well, and we hung around for a bit, bought some books, talked about this and that, and left. I discovered that the market next door had cool drinks. I've never seen "Leninade" before (get hammered and sickled), so I bought one. I also bought a couple bottles of green tea soda, a Kombucha Wonder Drink (which I'm currently drinking) and a ginger beer. I was thirsty, I guess.

I saw a pretty nasty accident on the way home tonight. Near the off-ramp leading to our house, the freeway was nearly completely blocked by emergency vehicles. The one lane that remained open was littered with broken glass. As I slowly passed, I could see three or four crumpled vehicles in amongst the flashing lights. How could that many cars be in the same place at the same time at nearly three in the morning? Usually at this time of night the freeway is virtually deserted. These people must have been accident prone indeed to all collide like that. I wonder how many pieces of their windows are stuck in my tires now.

All kidding aside now, I hope nobody was too badly hurt. At least they're near a hospital.

cds I listened to while trying to avoid the glass: Naked City "Torture Garden", Scott Walker "Climate of Hunter", Mark Growden "Live at the Odeon", Painkiller "Execution Ground", V/A "fRoots no. 21", V/A "Dead Tech 3", V/A "Balkans Without Borders"

No comments: