Wednesday, September 03, 2003

I stopped by Hidden Villa today for the official "return guide" meeting. I've been returning now for five or six years, which is still less than some of the old timers. It's one of those volunteer jobs that gets its hooks in you and doesn't let go. And we like the hooks. One of the longtime volunteers regretted that he won't be able to lead tours this year because he can't really hike anymore due to the three different types of cancer wreaking havoc with his system. So what is he going to do? He's going to volunteer in the garden. The human spirit is an amazing thing. I think most of the people who work at Hidden Villa would do the same - keep on showing up in spite of cancers and injuries and debt. Tours start later this month.
There was a King Snake lurking around the garden too. That's always a good way to start the season - seeing snakes.

Earlier, after getting dressed, I wandered out into the front room to discover The Dickens covered in a brown substance. It was smeared all over her legs and hands. There was even a little bit of it on her nose. As I scanned the floor around her, spotting brownish lumps and smears, I muttered to myself, "please let that be chocolate."

It wasn't chocolate.

Oh, and we got the van back. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. I could cry. Maybe we really should take it to an exorcist instead of just joking about it. As it is, we can't take it anywhere outside of the area for fear that it will shut itself off at an inopportune moment. Sort of like George Bush's brain. Oh wait, I guess that would be more like a van that doesn't start at all and has to be towed everywhere by a tow truck driven by a homicidal drunk.

cds I listened to while wishing it would cool down already: The Tiger Lillies "Two Penny Opera" and "The Sea", John Zorn "Music for Children", The Third and the Mortal "Tears Laid in Earth" and "Stream/Horizons", Scott Walker "Tilt", and Naked City "Grand Guignol"

No comments: