Thursday, July 10, 2003

The Youth Science Institute office at Sanborn park has, like most organizations, someone in charge. She wasn't there today. Unfortunately, in addition to overseeing the various camp-related activities, she is also in charge of feeding the cat who hangs out on the porch. None of the rest of us knew where the cat food was. The table where my camp meets is on the porch near the cat food bowl, so I spent the morning being glared at by the cat, who seemed to think that I must be to blame for his missing breakfast.
After the campers arrived, the cat slunk off in digust. For our part, we spent a lot of time in the shade, making leaf print shirts and paper. Earlier in the week, we had made model trees out of old copies of the Wall st. Journal. Today, we turned the trees back into paper by ripping them into little pieces and submerging them in water until it resembled porridge. Then we sprinkled in liberal amounts of leaves, petals, and lichen. The resulting greyish, color-spotted circular patties of moist paper were a definite improvement over the newspaper we had used to make them.

I'm juggling wrapping up this week's camp with preparing for the upcoming one, so I think I'll go get busy. Tomorrow after I get home from camp, we'll all pile in the newly repaired van and hit the road for L.A. Wish us luck.

cds I listened to while finally being on time: Swans "Soundtracks for the Blind" and "Swans are Dead"

No comments: