Monday, July 07, 2003

My weekend had one extra day in it but Monday still came. Most of the weekend has been recounted in Jen's blog, so I won't commit redundancy here. I did have fun taking Lexy and The Dickens out on friday night to watch the neighbors light fireworks. Lexy loved it, and The Dickens had fun too, although she wasn't too sure about the loud ones. She kept asking "what dat?", "what dat?' everytime any fireworks went off. By the next morning, of course, she was an authority on fireworks. It all kind of reminded me of being a kid and running around in front of the house with sparklers and lighting those little "snakes" - you know, the ones that expand from a little black button into a snaky pile of ashes... Holidays always tend to bring out a nostalghia for childhood.

I started week three of camp this morning, and I'm teaching kids who range in age from 6 to 9. We created journals, and some of the kids really got into decorating them and writing about their days. The good thing about teaching the older kids is that they know how to do these writing-based activities, and they can hike for longer distances than the little ones. On the way back from our hike, I caught one of the big "pond" crayfish (not to be confused with those wimpy little "creek" crayfish). It took exception to being caught and dug both pinchers into the soft part of my palm, only to let go when released.
I also got crapped on by not one, but two snakes. The first one was the center's Mountain King snake, who didn't feel like being taken out to visit kids. The second was a Garter snake who was hanging out by the juniper bushes outside the center. He voiced his displeasure at being caught by voiding his bowels all over my arm.
I keep seeing one of the kids I had in my camp for the first week. I guess his parents must have decided to have a summer to themselves by signing him up for camp every week. He seems to be having fun though.

We have a lot to do this week, so I think I'll go do something besides typing now.

cds I listened to while wondering why long weekends last no longer than short ones: Swans "Filth/Body to Body, Job to Job", and "Various Failures"

No comments: