Tuesday, July 22, 2003

I think I planned to many activities this week for camp. This, of course, is better than planning too few. Today, in the midst of it all, we told more ghost stories while seated beneath the trees that Jen and I got married under. Then we made little pendants out of creek rocks. Earlier, while down at the creek getting the rocks, I spotted a tiny little tree frog. It jumped into the water when I tried to gently lift the rock it was sitting on. The girl who had been so keen on catching salamanders yesterday probably would have spent the rest of today in the creek looking for the frog if I had let her.
We have been trying to stay away from our assigned table in the afternoon. The sun seems hotter there than anywhere else. Today it melted all of our crayons into a sticky, multicolored lump.
It's funny how this camp seems to be over much more quickly than last week's camp, even though it lasts an hour longer. I must be having fun.
On of the moms of one of my campers from two weeks ago stopped by to tell me that her daughter had enjoyed my camp much more than the one she was presently in. I like hearing that sort of stuff, although it's too bad she isn't having as much fun this week.

And then, this afternoon I went to church. This all came about because a woman from the church had seen my name on the museum's calendar, in association with a blurb about how I introduced people to "wild things" or some such. So, after some phone calls and some phone tag, I talked with the woman, who asked if I could bring some bugs to show the church's preschool summer camp. I told her that for twenty bucks an hour I would. So today I arrived with my cockroaches, scorpions, millipede, and tarantulas and spent an hour showing them to hordes of little kids. They were quite an excitable bunch. Some of the teachers were a bit freaked out by the bugs. When the director was paying me, she said I could get away with charging a lot more. I told her I would after I had done this sort of thing a bit more. Like I have time. I suppose I can always find the time somehow. I could be the start of a business. Who knows?

cds I listened to while transporting the news and later some bugs: T.A.C. "Ouvrez vos Auditifs Canaux", "La Nouvelle Art du Deuil", and "Hypnotischer Eden", Howden/Wakeford "Wormwood", and Tangerine Dream "Zeit"

No comments: