Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Today we all pretended we were Andy Goldsworthy and wandered into the woods to create art out of whatever was on hand - leaves, branches, rocks, etc. Most of the kids really enjoyed it, and there were some creative results, which I'll post here later. The two boys were more interested in harassing a banana slug than making art, so the girls came up with more impressive pieces. On the way back, one of the boys, upset at being called names by fellow campers, sulked and hung back. I let him have some alone time, provided he didn't hang back so far that I couldn't see him. It's kind of funny to watch the social dynamic, and how it evolves over the course of the week. There are definitely some conflicting personalities in this group, but over all they're pretty good at working together. I think the boys feel outnumbered though.

My car, which had been behaving pretty well lately, is showing signs of imminent transmission collapse. It is shifting strangely, and shudders when put into reverse. I'm going to try to make it through the next couple of days. Fingers crossed.

I spent some of the money I got from the church yesterday on another jaw harp (it's always good to have a backup, especially since I'm using one in performance tomorrow night - provided I'm not sitting on the side of the road in a pile of transmission pieces) and a little "rock a bye baby" music box for The Dickens (or "awkababy", as she says).

cds I listened to while warily shifting: Tehom "Dispiritualization of Nature", Hedningarna "1989 - 2003", and Test Dept "Proven In Action" and "Atonal and Hamburg - live"

No comments: