Thursday, May 08, 2003

It's cold and windy outside, but the promised rain hasn't fallen. I saw one pretty impressive lightning flash which seemed to come from near the coast. Moments later I saw a police chase, which seemed to be heading away from the coast.

I took the Water Monitor to the museum garden today, and he had a great time digging holes and sunning himself. He showed special interest in a lady who later admitted she'd recently eaten a turkey and salami sandwich. I moved him away from temptation. I still remember the day when he showed the same sort of interest in a volunteer's chin. There wasn't a lot of blood when he decided to see if the chin tasted as good as it apparently smelled, but even a little blood is too much. Now I know enough to nip (so to speak) this kind of thing in the bud.
One little boy spent a lot of time following him around, informing me roughly every ten minutes that he was pretending the Monitor was his pet. Several other kids also showed an almost obsessive interest in him.
When things slowed down a bit, I lay down in the dirt next to him as he sunned himself. The day was mostly sunny but not too warm. It felt good to just relax among the plants. The only thing that would have made it better would have been a nice cup of coffee, which I, for some reason, had a sudden desire for.

Now it is time to sleep, or perhaps surf the web.

cds I listened to while being illuminated by distant lightning: Risaedlan (Reptile) "Efta!", Ronan Quays "The Ebbing Wings of Wisdom", Rosebud "Thundermug Honeypot", Culper Ring "355", Bug Guts "Great Spangled Fritillary", Tiamat "Cold Seed", and Night Soil Man "Chief Left His Settlement (in the) Garden of Delights"

No comments: