Thursday, January 09, 2003

The other day I was playing my mouth harp at the museum when a woman asked me what it was called. I told her that it was a mouth harp, or mouth organ, or a jew's harp, depending on who you asked. I had grown up hearing it referred to as a jew's harp. This perturbed a Hasidic Jewish guy sitting across the room. He said it was a derogatory term, and proceeded to compare it to other similar terms. Being curious, and hoping to learn something new, I asked him if he knew the origin of the term, and why it was considered offensive. He launched into a rather garbled explanation about poor people and gypsies. Apparently it is an instrument that was used by people who couldn't afford anything better. I'm still not clear on why that makes the term offensive, unless you find poor people or gypsies offensive. I do know, however, that to refer to being ripped off as being "gypped" is offensive because it lumps all gypsies together as being dishonest. I found out later, while talking to my coworkers, that this is not common knowledge either. Then again, one of my fellow museum employees thought the Jewish man was Amish.
Today, the husband of the lady who brought us new improved sand (not carcinogenic) for our sand table showed me his chipped tooth - he had cracked it with a mouth harp at the tender age of seven. These darn instruments are all sorts of trouble. ...fun to play though. ...and it's amazing how many people have never seen one.

Tonight was a bit warmer than last night, and there was a slight sprinkling of rain. Jen is feeling better. This makes me happy.

cds I listened to while trying not to offend anybody: Kristin Hersh "A Cleaner Light", "Murder, Misery, and then Goodnight", and "Like You", Ratos De Porao "Descanse Em Paz", Shirley Collins "Within Sound" disc one, Motorhead "1916", High Tide "Interesting Times", and Sol Invictus "In A Garden Green"

now: Michael Nyman "Six Days Six Nights" soundtrack

No comments: