Tuesday, January 07, 2003

I have $26.76 in my pocket. I'm not usually sure how much money I have at any given time, so I checked. I think it's time to start keeping closer tabs on where all of this damn money goes. It should be interesting.

Can obsession be a good thing? Take Wilson Bentley (the subject of "Snowflake Bentley" - the book currently featured at the museum, and the basis for a lot of the projects I will be facilitating during the following months...). At an early age, he became obsessed with snowflakes. It was he who discovered that no two were alike. He spent his life photographing them, and left behind a legacy of beauty and knowledge. In my mind, there is no question that Bentley was obsessed with his work, which seemed trivial to those around him. He died of pneumonia after walking through the snow doing what he loved. Maybe obsession is only a good thing for those on the outside of the equation. Maybe not.


No comments: