Monday, January 27, 2003

The only good thing about the Stuporbowl is that it keeps all of the idiots off the streets for an afternoon. The worst thing about the Stuporbowl is that all of those idiots come spilling out into the street as soon as the game is over. I heard on the news that a bunch of the aforementioned people showed their great refinement and compassion by trashing a good part of Oakland. It may be a bit elitist to say this, but one can often gauge the worth of a particular type of entertainment by observing the actions of its fans. You don't see people pouring out of the opera house and overturning police cars. You don't see people leaving the symphony and breaking out all of the windows at the nearest McDonald's. You hardly ever see people rampaging out of a play and venting their passions on public property. People don't do doughnuts in intersections after an invigorating day at the museum. People don't even do this sort of stuff after heavy metal shows. And it doesn't seem to matter what team wins. I knew, even before I turned on the radio, that there would be reports of rioting in the streets. Now don't get me wrong, there are things worth rioting over, but a bunch of overpaid guys running around on field with a turd-shaped ball is not one of them. If these people like this game so much, why don't they use up some of their excess energy by actually PLAYING it! What is the big deal about watching other people play it and getting so worked up that you have to go break things afterward? The announcer on the radio mentioned that 400 police officers were needed to watch the streets in Oakland after the game... and that wasn't enough. I wonder how many other crimes were committed while the cops were watching the morons who thought it would be cool to hoot and holler and break things in the streets. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, they also apparently started a lot of fires. And people wonder why I think organized sports are so stupid. That said, I realize that not everybody who likes watching games is a moron. It's just that the morons are louder and more visible than the more responsible fans. And there are so many of them. And boy are they dumb. Some of them may even make that ignoramus in the White House seem semi-intelligent. Rant over.

In other news, the python tried to eat my hand today. I must be getting slow, because this is the second time in less than a month that he has latched onto me. Oh well, at least I no longer have anything venomous.

cds I listened to while grumbling about the senseless stupidity of certain people: My Dying Bride "The Angel and the Dark River/Live at the Dynamo", In Slaughter Natives "Sacrosancts Bleed" and "Purgate My Stain", Ratos De Porao "Feijoada Acidente?", Lake of Tears "The Neonai", and Radio Tarifa "Temporal" ...and I didn't even feel like wrecking anything after I listened to these!!

now: Heavenly Voices vol.2

No comments: