Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Sheltering In Place

Sometime yesterday, we learned that five San Francisco Bay Area counties were going under mandatory "shelter in place" orders, although the wording was somewhat squishy. Essential services are to remain open, and people can still apparently still go out to exercise (just not at a gym - those are supposed to be closed). I guess that means I can hike if I want to, although it has been raining off and on since Saturday.

My first response when hearing about our impending house-boundedness was to run out to the book store. Jeanine went to Safeway. She reported lines stretching to the back of the store. Recycle Books was empty except for employees. Barnes & Noble still had a number of customers though. I didn't manage to find the direct sequel to the book I'm currently reading, but I did buy four books. Later, I ordered the one I want to read next on Amazon, although today word comes that they're now only shipping essential and high-demand items. Damn it.

In the evening, we had a power outage. Figures. It interrupted the documentary on crows I was in the middle of watching. I sat by the window and read a few pages until the power came back on.

This is going to be interesting.

No comments: