Friday, March 27, 2020

It Goes To Eleven

It's going on 11 days since Santa Clara County entered shelter in place mode, and over a week since the rest of California followed suit.

I find that I'm actually being more social than I was before this all happened. I'm not at work, so my time is completely my own. Of course, all of this new-found sociability is happening at an electronic remove. I'm also starting to fall asleep (and awaken) slightly later than my norm, but not to the extreme that Jeanine and Eva are. My current morning routine is to get up, check e-mail and Facebook while eating breakfast, and then go watch movies or shows until noonish. I just finished watching the U.S. remake of the French TV show, The Returned (Les Revenants), which is in turn based on the French film, They Came Back. Despite owning it on DVD, I had been putting off watching it because I'd already seen the original(s). The main selling point for me is that Zoe Keating (along with Jeff Russo) composed the soundtrack. Despite the fact that I knew the story, it was enjoyable. It's a shame it was canceled after just one season. Oh, well. At least I now know there is a season 2 of the French show.

I'm now a veteran of two Zoom meetings. It looks like schools will be closed until at least the beginning of May.

Recent visitors to the yard (or nearby) are as follows:

Eastern Gray Squirrel
House Finch
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Bushtit
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Mourning Dove
California Towhee
Northern Mockingbird
Lesser Goldfinch
Fox Squirrel
American Crow
Black Phoebe
Anna's Hummingbird
House Sparrow
Bewick's Wren
American Robin



I'm thankful to be able to be comfortable and entertained in these uncertain times. Good will come of this in unexpected ways, although so will grief and uncertainty. Right now, we live one day at a time. The big picture stuff is more or less out of our hands.

Currently listening to: Mahsa Vahdat & Mighty Sam McClain "A Deeper Tone of Longing - Love Duets across Civilizations"


No comments: