Monday, March 23, 2020

Interacting While Isolated

I've now engaged in my first remote work meeting. If nothing else, this pandemic is making me try new things. I'm a bit of a technology-phobe with borderline Luddite tendencies, so I really do need to be prodded to do this kind of thing. We're going to try to play music together the next time we meet.

Speaking of remote meetings, the show Talking Dead, which is a discussion show immediately following new episodes of The Walking Dead, broadcast the same way last night, with host Chris Hardwick and guests all chiming in remotely from (I assume) their homes. Hopefully this doesn't become the new normal, but our modern society has become a place where we really don't have to leave our houses if we don't want to. Sociologically, this is interesting. Obviously, human contact is important, and the extroverts and the needy (emotionally and otherwise) among the population are going to suffer more than most, but hopefully we'll learn something from all of this. Not that I'm downplaying the plight of those in need, mind you. In addition, I've already read articles about improving air quality in China and Italy, and I imagine we're going to see it in more places as time rolls on. The UK is going into lockdown mode now as well, in order to stave of a situation like that which devastated Italy.

I think this is all going to last a lot longer that we've been told. Our societal shortcomings are going to rise to the surface like bloated corpses around a shipwreck.

Currently listening to: Laibach "Laibach Revisited"

No comments: