Tuesday, January 13, 2015

So Far, So Good...

Every Monday is like the first day of school here at camp. A new batch of kids arrives each Monday morning, so they've been here for around 11 or 12 hours by the time I get to work in the evening. I have to let them know what the overnight routine is, and while doing so, I work in whatever else I think they need to hear. I'm a bit more no-nonsense with the rowdy groups, of course. We all do what we can to anticipate problems, and we're pretty good at it.

No problems yet this week. In fact, so far I've seen a couple of homesick kids, and that's it. It helps to once again have some tried and true cabin leaders, including one who was here last week and one who has got to be pushing 30 at this point.

The rain that was in the forecast seems to have mostly disappeared. I feel like we're being teased.

Here are a few photos taken during yesterday's walk:

A Night Heron:


An empty percolation pond. The water company occasionally allows them to drain so that they can scrape the muck off the bottom, which enables water to percolate more easily. It's like cleaning a coffee maker, I guess...


A small hummingbird, ignoring the paparazzi.


A turtle. In January. This is why people in other states hate us.


A cormorant.


A dog, attempting to play with Canada geese.


A slightly ruffled egret.


A feral cat.


And that canoe that somebody lost, revealed by receding water.


No comments: